Temperance River State Park
Temperance River State Park is a unique park with a trail that winds along the edge of the Temperance River. The park has plenty of hiking trails and beautiful scenery. Located between the communities of Schroeder and Tofte, visiting this state park should be at the top of your North Shore to do list. Above all, you'll want to experience the following things:
- Hike to the Hidden Falls: With trails winding along both sides of the beautiful Temperance River, taking this hike is a no-brainer. Hike the trail to the Hidden Falls or the Superior National Forest and be ready for some beautiful scenery along the way.
- Go Rock Climbing on Carlton Peak: Conquer your fear of heights by climbing Carlton Peak which offers over two dozen climbs in the 60-80 foot range. Pick up a required free climbing permit at the visitor center and enjoy the adventure.
- View the Waterfall South of Highway 61: Visit the waterfall that cut a gorge just south of Highway 61. This beautiful waterfall is one of the park’s most significant attractions.
- Grab Some Binoculars and Go Birding: Don’t forget the bird checklist as you try to spot different kinds of warblers and sparrows. Temperance River State Park has been known for its wide variety of birds that live in the area and that fly through during spring and fall migration.
- Enjoy Cross-Country Skiing or Snowshoeing: During the winter, enjoy activities such as cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. The park offers a variety of groomed and un-groomed trails that are perfect for a day filled with winter fun.
The state park entrance is one mile northeast of Schroeder on MN Highway 61 (7620 West Hwy 61, Schroeder, MN 55613). For more information about Temperance River State Park, call the Tettegouche State Park office at (218) 353-8800 or email [email protected]
A Temperance River State Park map is available here.